Friday, August 22, 2008

Illustration Friday - "Routine"

For this weeks Illustration Friday I went with...  Darth Vader doing his morning "routine" to get ready for the day.  I remember when I was a kid and saw Empire, I was wondering if he slept with his helmet off or just took it off for an occasional breath of fresh air.  Anyway I haven't drawn Darth Vader in  long time and it seemed like a fun illo to do.  I was also going for a Vader you might want to win once in a while.  My 5 year old son Max helped me with the skin tone and light sabor color- he was my art director on this.  Max wasn't completely happy with the finish- said Vador looked too much like his younger brother Titus:(  Enough rambling.  It took about 5 hours and was done in Illustrator and Photoshop. 

20 comments:

Ellen said...

Love it Scott! Dare I say it...Darth is cute!!

PotatoMamma said...

Very cute!! Finally, you lifted the secret. And the helmet.

Vanessa Brantley Newton said...

My husband just loved your illustration. This a wonderful take on the word. Very nice

Roberta said...

Dang you do some awesome work!!
Ok I have to say it...
"The force is strong with this one!"

Juan said...

Excellent illo!

Bella Sinclair said...

Aaaaah, so Darth is a morning person! Fantastic illo. He's adorable!

Jerry Hish said...

WOW!!...great drawing Scott...I must say Darth doesn't look too intimidating with his helmet off...:)

fergus said...

Outstanding! May the force be with you. Your work is always tops.

Chickengirl said...

awesome. Love your style.

xenos said...

nice job scott. or should i be telling this to your art director of a son instead?

honestly, from the icon, i was expecting something related to baseball. boy was i wrong.

this would probably do well as a print at conventions. my brother does chibis of all the comicbook characters and people just gobble them up. i'm just saying...

Josh (musarter) said...

This is great. You suceeded in making a menacing icon look cute. I like you style, it reminds me of Nate Wrag. If you have not, you should check out his stuff.

theartofpuro said...

love it,great idea

Fadas & C.ª said...

Very cute! Great idea!

Gaia said...

I love it! It's funny and cute at the same time. I also like very much the background and I have to say Darth's "skin tone" is perfect!
Kudos to both you and your little art director! :D

Tracy said...

Wow, this is another awesome piece! He almost looks ... adorable! :)

Michael said...

Ha! Fantastic piece...

Fantastic work all around. I'll definitely be back...

Amy C said...

Darth - it is the cutest Darth I have ever seen, he is still scary at the same time though!!

SaiSai said...

I love it! What a cute Darth Vader, you know, I think that he's been misrepresented! But it does make me wonder...how does he eat? Hmmm...very thought provoking indeed...

Karrie and Chrysti said...

Scott...how hilarious that Max thinks it looks like Titus! I love your work...and look at you having merchandise on CafePress!

Kelly Light said...

A Hoot! great drawing!