Saturday, January 31, 2009

Illustration Friday - "Flawed"

  For this weeks Illustration Friday topic of "Flawed" I attempted a political cartoon.  I did the drawing and was halfway done coloring it when my wife  Chrysti walked in and asked, "ahhhh what are you doing???"  I told her I was finishing up my Illustration Friday illo, and the topic was "flawed".  She was silent for a minute, and then said, "When I think of Hitler, "flawed" isn't a strong enough word. "  She said the word "abomination" would be far more appropriate.  I totally agree.  So I think I REALLY missed the mark with the topic.  It was also interesting trying to do a cartoon of such an evil man.   I didn't want to make him seem like a fun guy, or lessen any of the horrible things he did.  I looked online at some of the original cartoons people were doing in World War II, and tried to figure out how they handled it.    So here's an image that misses the topic, but I'll learned from it.  It was done in Illustrator and Photoshop and took about 4 hours.

16 comments:

Joan M. Mas said...

I am very pleased to have found your site. I love your illustrations. Can't get enough of this retro cartoony style!

Matthew Smith said...

awesome illo! great character!

Chrissy Fanslau said...

Very funny illustration! The character is obviously crazy, too. =)

Peter Breese said...

Ah yes, always a lightning rod for controversy.. and rightfully so. It is difficult to work this horrible man into anything without driving off someone in the audience.

Regardless of the character, I still dig your style and always like finding new work on you blog.

ArtSparker said...

A very handsome illustration, in any case. I suppose it goes with the Chaplin film, pre-WW2, when people did find Hitler funny.

Monty Python did the best with this material, with their Mr. Hilter (supposed to be spelled like that)who was running for M.P.

Vanessa Brantley Newton said...

Very clever my friend! Very clever. You know I agree with your beautiful wife. You did a great job on this. Handled it very well.

Bella Sinclair said...

Yes, deeply, deeply, deeply flawed. But your illustration is fantastic! Love the frenzied energy and muted colors. :D

Roberta said...

He was horrid... but your illo is great!

david santos said...

Brilliant!!!!

tp said...

a nice take on Hitler! reminds me
of Chaplins :"The Great Dictator".
Your style in art is consistently awesome (if not better!)

lil kim said...

great illo! Though I am compelled to mention that your map is flawed too - you missed out Australia (sniff, sniff)

Chris Kennett said...

I think you could call total insanity a character flaw, especially in this case. The design is great and I love the fork tongue too.

Amy C said...

another goodie Scott, I think the colors are really fitting for this piece too.

Tomás Serrano said...

It´s great!

Daniel Chaffin said...

His plan for world domination was flawed. I think it's pretty much on topic in that respect. Not as much of an understatement anyway. I like his forked tongue.

saffron said...

Great job, even if you think you missed the topic!